The Central Massachusetts Veteran Service District serves Westborough, Grafton, Northborough, and Shrewsbury. The office of Veterans Services is here to administer the Veterans Program per Chapter 115 of Massachusetts General Law as well as to render assistance to those who are eligible for federal benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Additionally, the Veterans Agent acts as the Burial Agent, ensuring that those veterans and/or their dependents who lack sufficient means to defray funeral expenses receive proper interment, and as the Graves Officer, to properly care for and maintain veterans graves in the community as well as causing the placement of flags on such graves every Memorial Day.
Some of the services available through this office:
- Aid in application for State Wartime Bonuses and annuities
- Counseling and referrals to Veteran Employment and Training services, other government and public groups
- Emergency financial assistance for eligible applicants
- Help with obtaining copies of military discharges and requesting a discharge upgrade
- Assistance with filing disability claims (Compensation and Pensions) with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Recording and custodial services for service records
- VA Burial Allowance and/or Headstones and grave markers filling assistance
- Special evening, home, VA hospital, or assisted living-nursing home visits available upon request.
Veterans' Benefits Eligibility
Veterans, some dependents and survivors of veterans of any of the following wars or campaigns may be eligible to receive benefits and/or services provided by federal or state statutes:
Being a veteran does not make entitlements automatic. The eligibility to receive entitlements from the Massachusetts Department of Veterans Services and/or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs must be determined and may be needs-based. Your local Veterans Agent will assist veterans and their dependents to secure benefits and entitlements that they are eligible to receive. That is the primary responsibility of the Office of Veterans Services.
A copy of the Veterans Discharge Certificate (DD Form 214) is required for all town, state, and federal benefits.
To find out more about these unique and valuable programs, please email us or call 774-293-2208 to schedule an appointment.